Just Listen

After reading Sarah Dessen's book, Just Listen, I thought of these things:
when someone says "story of my life," what do they really mean? Different people think of this phrase differently. The main characters in the story also see it differently.  Owen saw it as someone trying to be sympathetic, but it is kind of not.  Like you're telling the other person there's nothing unique about what they're saying.
I personally like Annabel's interpretation better though, hers was : "Like you're saying no matter how bad things are for you, I can still relate." Her interpretation is so optimistic. Mine, upon reading this was: Stop complaining, others have it worse, somewhat like, I have the same problems, but you don't hear me complaining....I think mine is a mix of both, more of Owen's though.

I also found this little part in page 12 of my book:
                       "Being nice was the ideal, the one place where people didn't get loud or so quiet they could scare you.  If you could just be nice, then you wouldn't have to worry about arguments at all.  But being nice wasn't as easy as it seemed, especially when the rest of the world could be so mean."
              I find this really relatable, for more than half of my life, I have been known as Chariz, the "nice girl," don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong about being nice, but in this world, it seems as if being nice just doesn't work & it just doesn't seem to affect people at all. Just being nice won't help me make a mark on everyone, being mean on the other hand will definitely make a mark, just the wrong one.  You always have to have a balance, fight for what is right....Fight for yourself too, otherwise, you won't get anywhere.
Right now, I just, really badly want to find my own Owen... :)

Comments

Popular Posts